Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm a Blabbermouth

I can't keep secrets.

I mean, I'll keep your secrets, sure. But I don't really keep my own secrets. I find it easier to tell everyone everything. Let's be honest here, there's no reason to hide. I confess how I feel every week, sometimes even every day, sometimes even on this blog. I try to keep it to music secrets here because otherwise you could read my blog about Spain, or my blog about life, or maybe you could read my mind. (Wait, what?)

The point is, I find myself opening up to you... my dear friends, my dearest strangers.

Here's a not-so-secret secret: I really miss being a DJ at a college radio station. I think about it from time to time, but sometimes it really gets to me. I feel it today. Talk about the best (non-paid) job of all time, kids. I could pretty much say what I wanted, play what I wanted, and interview exactly who I wanted (if they would have me... let's be honest... I never was able to book Bono on my radio show. I did talk to the creator of Pitchfork. And all my favorite Athens bands. And Jesty Beatz. He's FAMOUS. Just ask him. That's gotta count for something, right?).


It's a time and a place in my life that I think I'll always come back to, year after year. The friendships I made, the things I learned... you could say I found myself sitting in that DJ seat. I FOUND myself. Before I even realized I was lost. (Ok, that was a lie. I always knew I was lost.)

I've put together a collection of songs that I played over and over. I had to separate them into two groups because I had a lot of favorites. OK?! Do you have a problem with an overobsessed DJ? I didn't think so. I loved playing all 47 songs. Today you get artists A-J. Tomorrow you get the rest.

Click this link to download.

ACRN Days

1. A.C. Newman - Miracle Drug
2. Adam Torres - Dusty Wing Spirit
3. Andrew Bird - Tables and Chairs
4. Animal Collective - Peacebone
5. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
6. Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
7. Band of Horses - Is There a Ghost
8. Beck - Girl
9. Beirut - Nantes
10. Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
11. The Blow - Parentheses
12. Bright Eyes - Take It Easy (Love Nothing)
13. Cat Power - Love & Communication
14. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth
15. The Dandy Warhols - Not if You Were the Last Junkie
16. Eagles of Death Metal - Cherry Cola
17. Georgie James - Need Your Needs
18. Hot Chip - Shake a Fist
19. Interpol - C'mere
20. Joe Anderl and Imaginary Friendship Choir - Dayton, Ohio
21. John Vanderslice - White Dove
22. Jose Gonzalez - Slow Moves
23. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

2 comments:

  1. I smiled when I saw the issue of Backdrop with my cover illustration sitting randomly there in the picture. It gives me this weird feeling of connectedness with things...

    Also, I like the list cuz you totally did play these songs. I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for including me.

    joe

    ReplyDelete