Friday, January 16, 2015

Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me

I didn't do any top lists this year because I got overwhelmed with how many incredible things came out in 2015, and honestly didn't take the time to sort through it all. It's been more of a year for podcasts, weirdly, because I'm indulging in my love for good storytelling.

But I do want to share a few of my favorite songs in the next couple days.

Here's #1 of 2014:




-->
It took less than a minute into my first listen before I recognized perfection. It doesn’t need any frills or fanciness to suck you in. And the spell these fuzzy riffs cast lasts much longer than its brief three-minute life. Let’s put it this way. The melody on “Archie, Marry Me” is so addictive you feel like a chocoholic with an IV dripping fondue straight into your system.  

The lyrics may be simple, but they feel like the shortest and best summary of a relationship where one person is doing all the heavy lifting, and the other is floating along. You’ll be belting along with the chorus immediately – because we’ve all had an Archie in our life, even if our names aren’t Betty and Veronica. Archie may not be ready for marriage, but this is the kind of song that we can all commit to our music libraries for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment