Friday, October 23, 2009

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game

There are times when songs chase you. They find a way to hauntingly come into your life, and pursue your brain. Sometimes this is the case with a song that you heard many, many years ago, but you never gave a second thought.

I was listening to the local college station, WJCU, (where I DJed this summer) the other day. A song came on, and I knew I had heard it before, long ago. I had a feeling it was played at a pivotal moment in The Family Man, one of my all time favorite movies. What this movie lacks in creativity and originality, it makes up for in heart. And the way this song is placed in a heartbreaking scene, smack dab in the middle of the movie, it is significant and makes a special mark.

I watched the movie last night, by myself, utterly alone. And as always, I cried. I always cry when I see it. I dare you not to cry.

After the movie was over, I looked up the song, found it, and played it on repeat for the rest of the night. It haunts, and it's so depressingly romantic, and the noodling guitar has this western feel that I don't think would be out of place in a movie like Natural Born Killers, where the plotting murderers travel the country with some kind of sexy, weirdo attitude.

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game

Today, I was picking up a prescription, and SURPRISE, "Wicked Game" played through the quiet speakers of CVS. Reminding me that the song might not be a special, unknown treasure, but that it probably haunts many others as well. It has an odd way of infiltrating the ears, and leaves a special feeling of emptiness.

My dad says it's a sexy song. I guess. All I know is I've probably heard it 25 times in two days, and I'm not even close to sick of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment