Thursday, June 25, 2009

Now Obsessed: Justin Townes Earle

Steve Earle - I can't really say much about him. I know he just came out with a new album that consists of Townes Van Zandt covers, and that the two were best friends. They were also awful influences on each other - boozing, gambling, the whole gamut. So much so that Steve wasn't the best daddy.

He did, however, give Justin a familiar middle name - Townes - after his best buddy. And perhaps he gave him some of the musical genes as well. I've just started listening to Justin, and I really like what I hear. 



The song that really kills me is the one above - a cover of the Replacements' "Can't Hardly Wait." Even though it was recorded from a live show on a (probably) crappy camera, the sound is so warm and inviting I think I'd like to wrap myself in the musical notes and curl up into the fetal position for hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment