Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Love The Blow.

And i don’t mean drugs.

Rather, I’m referring to Portland-based Mikhaela Yvonne Maricich, a brilliant musician. Jona Bechtolt used to be in The Blow also, but he has since departed to do some solo work under the name YACHT.

Anyway, back to my point. Some mornings, there’s no better way to wake up than to the entire paper television album. It is fabuloso.

I’ll name my top 5 reasons why:

1. TRACK 2 - “Parentheses” - Nobody could create a spooning song better than this. I mean, c’mon, she’s comparing a cuddling position to grammatical symbols. It’s so damn adorable and poppy that it makes me want to hug a kitten. And i don’t really even like kittens that much. Pitchfork also thinks this song rules (check number 55).

2. TRACK 4 - “The Long List of Girls” - These drums are so high school marching band. I really want to be in a parade when I hear this song.

3. TRACK 5 - “Bonjour Jeune Fille” - She sings in French, too?! Killer. I like the simple video game electo-pop here. I feel like I’m Mario, jumping on mushroom heads.

4. TRACK 6 - “Babay (Eat a Critter, Feel Its Wrath)” - Ok, the first time I heard this song, I was kinda confused. Whose point of view is it from? Upon second listen, I realized the lyrics are coming from the brain of an animal that was eaten and then got pooped out in the toilet. If it wasn’t so twee and cute, this song would be absolutely sick. Weirdly, Maricich makes it ok to sing about the unspoken “bowel” topics.

5. TRACK 10 - “True Affection” - The intro makes me want to do the oompa loompa dance. You know, the one where you get a group of people to squat and stand back up alternately so it looks like a big weird group of odd alien creatures. Anyway, it gets me every time.

That’s why I love The Blow’s Paper Television. I hope you love it too, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment